One of the elements of our home that presents the most variety is the blinds, which depending on each kind of them, are providing different styles and functionality. The common denominator in all types is, in addition to decorating, providing us with protection from the solar radiation, which will give us freshness, and provide us with the privacy we desire for our home.
In today’s article we review the main models that can be found on the market:
- Alicante shutters. There is a type of shutters named so, and since we are in Altea, we will begin with them such review. This type of blinds is usually made of wood – originally they were made with vine branches – and its mechanism is reduced to a rope that winds the slats. They are installed outside, protecting the windows and, due to their short range of designs, they are especially recommended for rustic homes. One of its drawbacks is that they significantly darken the rooms in which they are installed, although it is true that sunlight penetrates between the slats, attenuating that penumbra and the air to create currents in summer.
- Roller blinds. One of the main advantages of this type of blinds is its versatility to adapt to any size of window. Its classic design is white and smooth, which allows light to pass through without generating excessive brightness in the room, which favors the creation of private spaces without giving up to a cozy atmosphere. They allow the installation of a motor, eliminating the need to manually upload them, although such thing does not imply any effort.
- Vertical blinds. This type, made up of narrow strips that fall up to the ground, is another option for the home, which also includes a wide variety of materials, from textiles, wood, PVC, aluminum, etc. In a similar way to how venetian blinds are acting in horizontally with their slats, these vertical ones do it with their strips, which allow regulating the passage of light to the rooms. They were very popular in the 1980s, although they have fallen into disuse.
- Japanese panel. They are one of those that have gained more ground in recent years, for their minimalist elegance. Composed of several pieces of fabric – generally three or four – each of the panels can be moved to the left and right, opening spaces to allow more or less light to pass through. The combination of both plain or patterned colors, as well as their different levels of opacity, have made this type of blinds even be used to separate different environments/spaces.
- Pleated or Roman blinds. Very light, made of fabric or even paper, they take up very little space, being ideal for small spaces, although it is true that their handling is more complicated, which does not make them recommended for children’s rooms. They are elegant, very suitable for large windows that sometimes count with a kind of lining/dust cover, which helps regulate the light and even acts as thermal insulation.
- Venetian blinds. Very common in office spaces, with aluminum slats and that, at home, have made their foray by changing that material for wood. They adapt very well to spaces, allowing different levels of openness by being able to play with the slats inclination, which favors not only different intensity of lighting, but also privacy. Moreover, among its added advantages stands out the ease of cleaning – it is enough to pass a feather duster frequently -, which in day-to-day life is undoubtedly something to consider.
Leave A Comment